1. What did you do in 2003 that you'd never done before?
I was a groomsman in a wedding (staedtler's)
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Resolutions? I don't recall making any... but I'd like to think I lived up to my goals
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin. (I think that was this year...)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada. Several times, as usual.
6. What would you like to have in 2004 that you lacked in 2003?
An internship over the summer. I just didn't get stuff done for that last year.
7. What date from 2003 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
October 18, when my girlfriend and I got together. Or August 9, the date of the aforementioned wedding...
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I'm not sure. I take "achievement" in several different ways... I earned a 4.0 this term, I became a "professional artist" (having received two commission requests within a week of each other, and one of them being long-term), and I found love...
9. What was your biggest failure?
Probably not getting a decent job over the summer.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
nah. I have an immune system better than most, and I tend to be careful with myself. My right hand has suffered a series of cuts and gouges and such - gets a lot of use, I suppose.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Not counting things like tuition, etc, I'd say it was my Gamecube. Or the Escaflowne boxed set.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My sister, who got into the University of Michigan (I'm still proud of her for that) and decided instead to go to Eastern Michigan, which is quite a bit better in her chosen fields of art and education.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The Executive Branch of the United States Government. That's my big concern.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Helping my parents pay tuition/etc, and conventions.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to the wedding.
16. What song will always remind you of 2003?
Most of Great Big Sea's music (having really started listening to them this year, thanks to Shelly) and "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds Five.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Quite a bit happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? About the same.
iii. richer or poorer? A little bit richer, having had a well-paying job this term (sadly, it won't continue).
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Sitting on my ass not doing much. I could have gotten so much done this summer.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Staying at home with my family. I might go see Shelly in the evening.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Recently, Shelly. Overall, probably my parents.
22. Did you fall in love in 2003?
Yes. Completely and utterly.
23. How many one-night stands?
I have no idea what's classified as a one-night stand, so I'm going to go ahead and say "none".
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Red Wings hockey was the only TV I really watched consistently. Still very much enjoy The West Wing, though.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nobody new, but I think I hate the President more than I did last year. Nobody personal, though.
26. What was the best book you read?
I hate answering this sort of question. I read so damn much - I've probably been through twenty novels this year. At least.
I guess I'd have to go with The Princess Bride.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Depending on what is meant by this, either Great Big Sea or Shelly's incredible talents.
28. What did you want and get?
In terms of "stuff"... I got pretty much everything I wanted. Having a job is nice that way - especially when you don't want much in the first place. See exception below.
29. What did you want and not get?
A better computer. Saving money... but I did get a new hard drive for this one.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
See 26 re objections. But if I had to choose, I'd go with Return of the King, or Pirates of the Caribbean. One of those.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 20. Most useless birthday ever. My dad surprised me at my dorm with a little cake, and I received some cookies as well. Then I went and watched the Red Wings season opener in my friend's room - that was fun.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I'm pretty damn happy right now. But getting the teaching job for next term would really help.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2003?
Functional. As always.
34. What kept you sane?
My sense of balance and perspective, perhaps? And good friends to lean on, and in the end Shelly.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Um. I don't usually develop "fancies" for celebrities. But I could list a few that I find attractive... I'll save you the effort, though.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Bush's war of revenge on the part of his father, backed up by falsified statements to the US public. Yes, that's it - the fact that Bush openly lied to the American people. Keep that in mind next year, people.
37. Who did you miss?
I always miss my grandmother (who died four and a half years ago) but this year, I kinda missed having my cousin Jamie around...
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2003:
Sometimes, happiness is there waiting to be found, and all it takes is the willpower to make it happen.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
God. I don't know. Probably the entirety of "The Luckiest", again. This question only slightly differs from #16...