||[Apr. 7th, 2006|03:48 pm]
* The Detroit Tigers are tied for the lead in the major leagues. I'm so confused. (I know it's only three games in, but what the hell?)
* Score one more for evolution. Another example of evolution as not only a descriptive theory, but a predictive one - evolutionary theory predicted the existence of a species like this before it was actually discovered.
* On call this weekend! Oh boy. So I'll be staying in my apartment (or within a few blocks of it) all weekend long. Let's see if I can't get something done, huh? I'm hoping to clean my apartment up a bit, maybe get some art done (despite the lack of Copic pens at the local art store - maybe I should look into finding another store), and potentially some reading. Maybe some video games, too - it's been too long since I've played, and I've still got 970,000 roses to roll up. (Cripes.) Anyway, it'll be nice to have a weekend that isn't filled to the brim with stuff to do.
* Speaking of art, I did a bit of a test with my new Copics and the Staedtler Pigment Liners I usually use for lineart. It turns out the Pigment Liners actually smudge a little bit under the Copics in some cases. This isn't good, but it was somewhat expected. So I went down to Utrecht yesterday, but they didn't have any, because they were having a sale on a bunch of stuff, including the pens... on the other hand, their bristol was nearly half off, so I got another 100 sheets of it. That should do for the entirety of the fanart project, since I intend it to be 100 pictures long.
* Finished Teckla yesterday, started The Salmon of Doubt today. Teckla is my least favorite of the Draegara books so far, but it was still pretty good. It was a little more... subdued, maybe, than the others, but that's probably due in large part to Vlad having to deal with [SPOILER DELETED]. Also, Phoenix makes sense, now! Yay. (For the record, I think my favorite book so far is Yendi.)
* GIP. (I still misread that as GIR!) Made it myself!
* And finally, from several people (in several forms), a Wikipedia meme:
Look up your birthday in Wikipedia and list (three|some) interesting events, (two|three|some) interesting births, and (one|three|some) interesting deaths.
1000 - Leif Ericson discovers Vinland, becoming the first known European to set foot in North America. (As a small child, Columbus Day occasionally fell on my birthday, and I'd sometimes joke about how my middle initial "C" stood for "Columbus". This was before I discovered that Columbus was a genocidal fuck. I think I prefer this.)
1604 - Supernova 1604, the most recent supernova to be observed in the Milky Way.
1701 - The Collegiate School of Connecticut (later renamed Yale University) is chartered in Old Saybrook, Connecticut.
Also, a bonus non-event:
1582 - Due to the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
1940 - John Lennon, British musician and songwriter (The Beatles) (d. 1980)
1944 - John Entwistle, British musician (The Who) (d. 2002)
1975 - Sean Lennon, English musician (I wonder why he's "English" and not "British".)
1980 - Henrik Zetterberg, Swedish ice hockey player (currently of the Detroit Red Wings! Woo. I didn't realize I shared his birthday until now.)
1967 - Che Guevara, Argentine revolutionary and guerilla leader (executed) (b. 1928) (People glorify him, and I actually saw a magazine cover (in his article) saying he and Gandhi together are two great inspirations for nonviolent revolutionaries, but he was as ruthless and violent as the people who executed him, having apparently performed many "summary executions" himself in his various revolutionary activities. I just thought this should be noted.)
1974 - Oskar Schindler, German businessman (b. 1908) (And as a contrast, a courageous dissident working against violence...)